It turned out super yummy, both kids loved it. Yes... you read that right. My KIDS loved ONION soup. Try it. You'll like it too. And if you don't, I'll come take it off your hands. (^o^)/"
- 4 sweet onions or large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 6 cups beef broth.
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices French bread (about 1/4-inch-thick)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gouda cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of sliced or grated Mozzarella cheese
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 20 minutes or until they're golden brown, stirring often. Add the celery and cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the port, broth, thyme, bay leaves and black pepper to the saucepot, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Heat the broiler. Place the bread slices onto a baking sheet 2 at a time, making 6 pairs in all. Sprinkle each pair with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted. Divide the soup among 6 bowls. Top with the bread and cheese.